The Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo is seeking to hire an Staff Accountant.
The Community Foundation is seeking an experienced professional that is enthusiastic and dedicated to helping accomplish its mission by using effective practices to prepare and maintain accurate accounting records. The Staff Accountant will be an integral part of the accounting team.
Given the large number of funds at the Community Foundation, the Staff Accountant should be detail- oriented with the ability to accurately track, account for and report a large volume of financial transactions. The position is full-time with excellent benefits available and the Controller is their direct reporting supervisor.
AREAS OF KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Process all cash receipts ensuring they are deposited to the proper bank account, and posted to the correct general ledger account and client’s fund
- Prepare all bank deposits, including via mail or remote check deposit
- Input all vendor invoices and distribute them to supervisors for proper approval. When returned, review to ensure accuracy and proper coding of: fund, leadership initiative and account number
- Upload all outgoing grants to the accounts payable system
- Print all checks for vendors, grants and scholarships and mail or distribute to others internally
- Prepare monthly account reconciliations for checking accounts and certain outside investment accounts
- Maintain files for vendor invoices, accounting documents, contracts and program-related investments
- Prepare journal entries and maintain supporting documentation
- Timesheet administration, tracking and reporting of all team member’s time based on individual team member input
- Scan all monthly outside investment information and send to the investment consultant
- Track stock gifts until the proceeds have been received
- Assist with the preparation of:
- Routine quarterly fund statements
- Annual audit schedules and tax filing
- Annual correspondence to each designated beneficiary organization to notify them of scheduled disbursements during the year
- Administrative support for the finance team which could include: coordinating and scheduling meetings, updating information in the financial reporting system, copying and scanning documents, and working on special projects or other tasks as requested
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE/EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School Diploma or GED with a minimum of ten years of related experience in an accounting position OR an Associate’s Degree or above in Accounting or Business with a minimum of three years related experience in an accounting position
- Strong analytical, bookkeeping and account reconciliation skills
- Advanced mastery of computer skills, including Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Detail-oriented with the ability to think through a process and identify all financial implications
- Capable of exercising good judgment when it comes to problem-solving, setting priorities and decision making
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and consistently meet assigned deadlines
- Aptitude for learning new technologies and utilizing systems that promote efficiency and effectiveness
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate and maintain positive relationships with other staff members and prepare documents for presentation
ABOUT THE FOUNDATION:
The Foundation is a public charity dedicated to helping clients make the most of their generosity. Our mission is connecting people, ideas and resources to improve lives in Western New York. For over 100 years the Foundation has managed endowment funds for individuals, families and organizations. The Foundation has a very clear vision: A vibrant and inclusive Greater Buffalo region with opportunity for all.
Community foundations are designed to grow and evolve as our community’s needs change, and new positions are regularly created as a result. As the Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo continues to grow, we’re looking for talented people who want to use their abilities to make a lasting difference. If that is you, then please send a cover letter explaining your interest in this position and what you would bring to the Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo.
Send cover letter and resume as a single Word or PDF document via email to: Jobs@CFGB.org. Please submit response electronically via email. However, response may also be received by U.S. Postal Service if an electronic medium is not available. No calls please.
Application deadline: Open until filled. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity, practices inclusion and works to advance equity.