Oath Community Benefit Fund For Lockport
Impacting the Community of Lockport
Established in 2015 as the Yahoo Community Benefit Fund for Lockport (“Fund”), this Fund was created as a part of Yahoo’s agreement with the Empire State Development Corporation to establish a customer care and data center in the Town of Lockport. In 2017, Verizon purchased Yahoo and created a new subsidiary called Oath. Subsequently, the name of the Yahoo Community Benefit Fund was changed to the Oath Community Benefit Fund for Lockport.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted electronically online through the Community Foundation’s Foundant Grant Lifecycle Manager.APPLY NOW
Amount Available: Approximately $230,000
Preference will be given to organizations located or providing services in the Greater Lockport area, defined as the City of Lockport and the Town of Lockport proper.
Grant awards are determined by the Oath Community Benefit Fund for Lockport Resident Advisory Council.
- Applications will be accepted online beginning April 2, 2018
- Application deadline is May 11, 2018 at 4 p.m.
- Funding decisions will be announced by late July 2018
Organizations located or providing services in Niagara County.
- Organizations with Section 501(c)(3) status as determined by the Internal Revenue Service
- Funds are available for projects beginning and ending during the time period of September 1, 2018 – August 31, 2019
The Fund, which will operate for seven years from 2015 – 2021, considers requests that support the following five fields of interest:
- Family and community building
- Youth education
- Economic development
- Animal welfare
The Fund will not consider competitive funding for:
- Religious purposes
- Schools not registered with the New York State Education Department
- Attendance at or sponsorship of fundraising events
- Any partisan political activity(funds from the Fund cannot be used to support or oppose a candidate for political office)
- Propaganda or otherwise attempting to influence legislation (lobbying)
- Projects and activities that have occurred prior to the start of the grant period
Please click here to download the complete set of guidelines and application questions.
Last Cycle's Grant Recipients
The Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo administers the Oath Community Benefit Fund for Lockport. All grant decisions are made by the Resident Advisory Council, which consists of community members.
Below are the 2017 recipients:
BISON Children’s Scholarship Fund – Lockport BISON Scholarship Initiative – $10,000
Cornell Cooperative Extension of Niagara County – AgLab – a “dirty classroom” – $20,913.25
Dale Association, Inc. – Intergenerational Program – Electronic Tablets for Writing, Reading, and History project – $13,019.30
DeSales Catholic School – Out of this World Education project – 8.217.00
Historic Palace Inc. – Will Call/Ticket Box Office Renovation – $50,000
Leadership Niagara – Lockport Community Leadership Development – $4,800
Literacy New York Buffalo-Niagara, Inc. – Lockport Literacy Drop-In Center – $10,000
Lockport CARES, Inc. – Tucked in Safe and Secure – $24,937.19
Lockport Ice Arena and Sports Center – Learn to Skate Program – $12,375
Lockport Locks Heritage District Corporation – Lock Tender Tribute – $30,000
Lockport Robotics Inc. – Lockport High School Robotics team – Warlocks Team 1507 – $5,000
Niagara County Historical Society – Junior Docent Program – $4,671
Salvation Army-Lockport – Bridging the Gap – $30,000
Youth Mentoring Services of Niagara County,Inc. – Rebuilding From the Ground Up – $6,512