William F. Thiel Grants
William F. Thiel was a long-time philanthropist in Wyoming County. He was well known for his generous monetary gifts to the hospital, fire departments and other Wyoming County nonprofit organizations. He left a significant legacy to the County through the creation of the William F. Thiel Trust at the Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo which continues his legacy of giving.
When he created his fund, Mr. Thiel specified that distributions “from this gift shall be used and applied by the Governing Committee of The Buffalo Foundation (now the Board of Directors of the Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo) for the use and benefit of the health requirements of the residents of Wyoming County, New York.”
How to Apply
Applications are submitted electronically online through the Foundant Grant Lifecycle Manager. No paper, emailed, or pdf applications are accepted.
In 2017, the Community Foundation worked with independent consultants and Wyoming County healthcare providers and experts to develop the 2018-2023 Thiel Trust Grant Funding Priorities.
Requests to the Foundation must align with one of the priorities which include:
- Public Health
- Health Services
- Access and Navigation
- Chronic Disease
- Dental Health
- Emergency Assistance
- Mental Health/Substance Use Disorder
- Reproductive Health
Please click here to download the Thiel Grant Competitive process general information and guidelines.
Please click here to download the 2018-2023 William F. Thiel Trust Grant Funding Priorities.
Please click here to view the Wyoming County Trends and Impacts Report.
Please click here to view the 2017 Discovery Phase Report.
- November 15, 2022: Application available online
- December 16, 2022: Proposals must be received by the Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo electronically via the Foundant Grant Lifecycle Manager by 4 p.m.
- Mid-February 2023: Grant decisions communicated
- Grants are awarded only to organizations that have current Section 501(c)(3) status as determined by the Internal Revenue Service
- Applicants must be located or delivering services in Wyoming County
- At any given time, organizations can only have one open competitive grant with the Thiel Trust.
Past Cycle's Grant Recipients
Please click here to download a list of past Thiel Trust grantees.