The Community Foundation is seeking an experienced accounting professional that is enthusiastic and dedicated to helping the Foundation accomplish its mission by using effective practices to prepare and maintain accurate accounting records. The Accounting Associate will be an integral part of the accounting team and will be responsible for maintaining financial records, running reports, and recording a wide range of transactions.
Given the large number of funds at the Foundation, the Accounting Associate should be detail oriented with the ability to accurately track, account for and report on a large volume of financial transactions. The position is intended to be full-time although part-time would be considered. Standard office hours are Monday -Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., at the Community Foundation’s office in the Larkin Building on Exchange St. in Buffalo, New York. After a 90-day introductory period, the role could convert to a hybrid remote setting with two workdays per week occurring remotely out of the office. The Community Foundation offers a competitive compensation package with excellent benefits.
AREAS OF KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Process all cash receipts ensuring they are deposited to the proper bank account, and posted to the correct general ledger account and client’s fund
- Prepare all bank deposits
- Input all vendor invoices and distribute them to supervisors for proper approval. When returned, review to ensure accuracy and proper coding
- Process monthly credit card activity
- Print all checks for vendors, grants and scholarships and mail or distribute to others internally
- Maintain files for vendor invoices, accounting documents and contracts
- Maintain electronic files of incoming finance related documents and mail
- Scan monthly outside investment information and send to the investment consultant
- Administrative support for the finance team which could include: coordinating and scheduling meetings, updating information in the financial reporting system, copying and scanning documents, and working on special projects or other tasks as requested
- Protects the Community Foundation’s reputation and value by keeping all information confidential
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE/EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or GED with a minimum of three years of demonstrated experience in performing various accounting functions including Accounts Payable in a business environment
- Strong analytical, bookkeeping and account reconciliation skills
- Advanced mastery of computer skills, including Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and Adobe Acrobat
- Detail-oriented with the ability to think through a process and identify all financial implications
- Capable of exercising good judgment when it comes to problem-solving, setting priorities and decision making
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and consistently meet assigned deadlines
- Aptitude for learning new technologies and utilizing systems that promote efficiency and effectiveness
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate and maintain positive relationships with other staff members and prepare documents for presentation
Pay range: $22.00 – $25.00/hr
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY FOUNDATION:
For more than a century, the Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo has enhanced and encouraged long-term philanthropy in the Western New York community. A 501 (c)(3) organization, the Community Foundation’s mission is: Connecting people, ideas, and resources to improve lives in Western New York. Established in 1919, the Community Foundation has made the most of the generosity of individuals, families, foundations and organizations who entrust charitable assets to the Community Foundation’s care. Learn more at cfgb.org.
Community foundations are designed to grow and evolve as our community’s needs change, and new positions are regularly created as a result. As the Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo continues to grow, we’re looking for talented people who want to use their abilities to make a lasting difference. If that is you, then please send a cover letter explaining your interest in this position and what you would bring to the Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo.
Send cover letter and resume as a single Word or PDF document via email to: Jobs@CFGB.org. Please submit response electronically via email. However, response may also be received by U.S. Postal Service if an electronic medium is not available. No calls please.
Application deadline: Open until filled. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity, practices inclusion and works to advance equity.