Oliver G. & Sarah Sloan Bauman Fund for the Arts
Perpetuating the Appreciation of Fine Arts
The Oliver G. & Sarah Sloan Bauman Fund for the Arts was established in 1996 by Sarah Bauman Baxter as a unique way to memorialize her father by including his name in her own endowment. Mrs. Baxter and her father shared a love for the classics, including classical languages, ballet and opera. At the end of her life, she translated that love into this bequest, which Mrs. Baxter said should help “perpetuate the appreciation of such fine arts as an important and integral part of our culture.”
How to Apply
Applications are submitted electronically online through the Foundant Grant Lifecycle Manager. No paper, emailed or pdf applications are accepted.
Bauman support shall be in the form of a grant, preferably matching funds.
Awards will be prioritized first for performances of “traditional, classical ballet and opera on the living stage, and preferably of the English, European, or Russian schools.” Qualifying performances should “preserve the originality of their composition, so the ballets are presented in their traditional choreography, and operas are sung in the language in which they were composed (except certain operas which may be customarily be rendered in English and are regarded as ‘traditional’ by the Metropolitan Opera Company of New York).”
If any funds remain after awards have been made to all ballet and opera nonprofits eligible under Tier 1, awards will be prioritized for qualifying performances presented through the encouragement and support of responsible music or theater nonprofits. Qualifying works shall “preserve the high quality of performance of traditional or classical works” of music, theater, or ballet from the repertories traditionally considered classical for each medium.
Total amount available for disbursement in 2020 is approximately $20,000
- Application available online March 13, 2020
- Applications due April 17, 2020 by 4 p.m. No exceptions.
- Decision notification mid-May 2020
- Grants are awarded only to organizations that have current Section 501(c)(3) status as determined by the Internal Revenue Service
- Applicants must be located or delivering services in at least one of the eight counties of Western New York: Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Niagara, Orleans and Wyoming.
- At any given time, organizations can only have one open competitive grant with the Bauman Fund.
For more information about the Oliver G. and Sarah Sloan Bauman Fund for the Arts competitive grants process, please contact Darren Penoyer by email at email@example.com or at (716) 852-2857 ext. 206.
Please click here for the 2020 Bauman Grant Process guidelines.