Buffalo, NY – The William F. Thiel Trust, a fund at the Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo, recently awarded grants totaling $270,000 to seven Wyoming County nonprofit organizations in the health services sector for the 2019 grant cycle.
The nonprofit organizations receiving grants from the William F. Thiel Trust are as follows:
- Geneseo Migrant Center: $75,000 to support Increasing Health Care Access XI
- Hillside Children’s Foundation: $33,500 for Wyoming County Youth Peer Support Services
- Kidney Foundation of Western New York: $4,500 for Wyoming County Kidney Health Education and Screening
- Western New York Independent Living Center: $13,000 for Wyoming County Chronic Disease and Diabetes Self-Management Classes
- WNY Rural Area Health Education Center: $38,000 for the Wyoming County Rural Health Immersion Program
- Wyoming Community Hospital Foundation: $74,000 for the Hospital Ventilator Project and Colposcopy Table
- Wyoming County Community Action: $32,000 for Angel Action Community Care
The William F. Thiel Trust grant process prioritizes applications for programs strategically identified in the Wyoming County Health Needs Assessment. Since the Community Foundation originally commissioned the Assessment in 2006, the William F. Thiel Trust has distributed more than $3.3 million in grants to healthcare organizations that serve Wyoming County residents. The Community Foundation updated the Assessment in 2017, and the most recent outcomes indicate that one in three Wyoming County residents have benefited from the William F. Thiel Trust.
William F. Thiel was a longtime philanthropist in the Wyoming County area. In 1974, Mr. Thiel left a significant legacy to the residents of Wyoming County through the creation of the William F. Thiel Trust at the Community Foundation. Today, Mr. Thiel’s generosity continues to provide financial supports to Wyoming County health care organizations.
The William F. Thiel grants process opens annually in mid-November. For more information on the William F. Thiel granting process, please visit www.cfgb.org/nonprofits/grants/william-thiel/.
About the Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo
Celebrating its centennial year in 2019, the Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo was established in 1919 to enhance and encourage long-term philanthropy in the Western New York community. A 501 (c)(3) organization, the Community Foundation’s mission is: Connecting people, ideas and resources to improve lives in Western New York. For 100 years the Community Foundation has made the most of the generosity of individuals, families, foundations and organizations who entrust charitable assets to the Community Foundation’s care. Learn more at www.cfgb.org.